Being utterly bored with what passes for news in the media, in particular the endless opinion polls supposedly showing voting intentions 3 months before the general election – and how many of those questioned actually know why they will be voting for the party they choose; even more importantly, how many of those questioned even understand what democracy is or how politics works in this country – I thought a little light relief was called for.
Yesterday the following appeared on twitter:
This above may well be an old joke, however, working on the basis the old ones are the best ones, where the difference twixt women and men are concerned I am reminded of something related to the chemical properties of the female sex, reputedly submitted by Mary Archer (wife of Jeffrey) to a rag-week magazine some years ago:
WOMEN: A Chemical Analysis
ATOMIC MASS: Accepted as 118 lbs., but known to vary from 110 to 550 lbs.
OCCURRENCE: Copious quantities throughout the world
- Surface usually covered with a painted film.
- Boils at nothing, freezes without reason.
- Melts if given special treatment.
- Bitter if incorrectly used.
- Found in various states ranging from virgin to common.
- Yields to pressure applied to correct points.
- Has a great affinity for gold, silver, platinum, and precious stones.
- Absorbs great quantities of expensive substances.
- May explode spontaneously without prior warning, and for no known reason.
- Insoluble in liquids, but activity greatly increased by saturation in alcohol.
- Most powerful money-reducing agent known to man.
- Highly ornamental, especially in sports cars.
- Can be a great aid to relaxation.
- Very effective cleaning agent.
- Pure specimen turns rosy pink when discovered in natural state.
- Turns green when placed beside a better specimen.
- Highly dangerous except in experienced hands.
- Illegal to possess more than one, although several can be maintained at different locations as long as specimens do not come into direct contact with each other.
In searching for the above on-line it would appear that a similar analysis for man exists, which I reproduce below, although authorship I am unable to confirm, even if only reputedly.
MEN – A CHEMICAL ANALYSIS
DISCOVERER: Eve. Discovered by accident one day when she had a craving for ribs.
ATOMIC MASS: Accepted as 170 lbs, known to vary from 98 to 360 lbs.
OCCURRENCE: Large quantities in all populated areas. Highly concentrated deposits at all sporting events and areas known as “singles bars”. Extremely low quantities can be found in any location where cleaning up is required. (See Women and Slave Labor)
- Surface often covered with hair–bristly in some areas, soft in others.
- Boils when inconvenienced, freezes when faced with Logic and Common Sense.
- Melts if treated like a God.
- Can cause headaches and severe body aches; handle with extreme caution.
- Specimens can be found in various states ranging from deeply sensitive to extremely thick.
- Becomes stubborn and unyielding when pressure is applied; yields only when subtlety, subterfuge, flattery are applied.
- Is repelled by concentrated quantities of precious and semi-precious metals and stones (See Jewelery Store). However, is attracted to small quantities of these when viewed worn against the skin of a woman. It is believed woman’s skin combines with the aforementioned to create a highly magnetic attraction for this element.
- May explode spontaneously if wallet is opened.
- Requires copious quantities of substances known as attention, reassurance, and stroking.
- When saturated with alcohol will be fairly inert and will repel most other elements.
- Is repelled by most household appliances and common household cleansers.
- Is repelled by small children clothed in diapers, particularly those of the malodorous variety.
- Is rendered non-functional when confronted with the items in #5 & #6.
- Is neutral to common courtesy and fairness.
- Is impervious to embarrassment.
- Most powerful embittering and aggravating agent known to woman.